Thursday, August 28, 2008

Aunt Vi


Last month on July 17 my Aunt Vi died. She was my mother's oldest sister. She loved me and I loved her and I have missed her very much. She was 90 years old. She was born the same year as my father. She was named Viola Mabel Peterson. She married Hugh William Reilly. When she died she had 5 children, 20 granchildren, and 35 great-grandchildren.

V - very generous (I remember as a child I got a nickel along with her own children to buy a candy bar at the neighborhood grocery store..Lee's Grocery)

i - independent, she remained in her home until the last few weekes of her life (she was so resilient! she fell and broke bones and she would heal and return home)

o - often baked and cooked and shared her food (a few of my favorites: cinnamon rolls, lemon meringe pie, burnt sugar cake, and potato salad)

l - loved by her family and friends (her family lovingly cared for her for a long time)

a - always ready to welcome you into her home to talk and visit (her door was seldom locked... all were welcome to enter in!)

No comments: