Monday, October 20, 2008

Remembering Dad

"For they all knew it was all Great Grandpa Bunny Bunny's plan."
This quote was taken from the Golden Book titled, Walt Disney's Grandpa Bunny. It was first published in the early 1950's but was just published again last year. It was my favorite childhood book and the favorite of my brother John and my sisters, LaRae and Cheryl. I would encourage you all to find this book and read it to your children. It reminds us of the miracle of Grandpas and the greater miracle of Life Eternal.
My father, John Robert Oleson, was born October 9, 1918. He died October 25, 1999. He is not forgotten. His life was an example to us all. He loved us and his farm and his country. He believed in family, honesty, keeping the Sabbath Holy, the word of God found in the Bible, and observing strictly the Ten Commandments. I will always remember Robb's prayer at Dad's funeral. It was beautiful and comforting. I remember he expressed his gratitude for his Grandpa's example on how to treat a wife and children. My father was a gentle man, a kind man, a man you could count on to help when help was needed.
The picture above is a beautiful sunrise taken at my home last Saturday. I remembered Dad. He was a Great Grandpa Grandpa!!!

6 comments:

Becca said...

What a beautiful sunset. Your dad was a wonderful example to all. My grandparents passed away while I was a child and didn't get the benefits of grandparents. When I married into the family, I looked up to your dad and mom with great respect. They were loving, kind and taught by example.

Megan said...

I love your thoughts on grandpa. I tmiss him very much and remember when he passed away. I am greatful for eternal families and am so thankful for his example. He knew how to love and that is exactly how I felt. I wish my husband and children could have met him, someday they will. I don't have that book but I am going to get it. Can't wait to read it:)

Becca said...

Aunt Francie, it's me Sam(my). I delayed reading your words on Grandpa. I must've been avoiding some feeling. I remember when I had called at a time when he was in the Greybull hospital and I had never heard him sound so weak and sick. He mustered a loving, "Hey Sambone," and I remember I couldn't speak. The other night I told my kids stories about him and they listened intently about this best Grandpa who all babies loved and who all and eack of his Grandkids felt that they must be his favorite. If I can turn out even a little like my Grandpa, I will have done alright. Love ya Sam.

Smedley Family said...

Francie, What a beautiful sunset. That is what I really miss about Wyoming and Boise. Being surrounded by mountains makes me claustrophobic sometimes, and rarely do we get beautiful sunsets like that one. Dad got us all the book "Grandpa Bunny Bunny " for christmas last year. He gathered us all in the family room and read it to us, and shared his memories of grandpa reading it to him. What great memories that book brings to so many. I loved it when grandpa would sing to us. One memory that will forever put a smile on my face is when grandpa would pull that one really long hair out of his head, the one that no one could see, but made him so proud. We have such a wonderful family. How great will be our reunion on the other side. Sometimes I can't wait!

Anny said...

Wow, I don't feel worthy to comment. I do know that Grandpa Oleson was and incredible man and loved by so many. Thanks for such a beautiful post and tribute to him.

Amy 'n Clint said...

I am excited to get that book for our children for Christmas this year. Anything Grandpa Oleson liked oughta be great! He truly was a great man with a great legacy. Thanks for sharing!