Monday, November 3, 2008

The Mighty Huntress

Jill is rather awesome! She hunted the deer on the farm. It literally just walked out of the corn. She got a good shot and took it. This is a great looking dry doe. She will grind the meat and make jerky. A meat many of us enjoy a great deal. I remember LaRae shooting a deer so she could make jerky to sent to Vietnam when Sam was serving in the army in 1969.
Jill not only shot the deer but she gutted it. Her husband, Jake, was very proud of her!! I told her.... she can hunt and butcher the deer and I will raise and butcher the chickens and we can keep the children fed!! There is something comforting about being self sustaining and capable.

3 comments:

Becca said...

Wow, Jill is awesome. The thought of cutting an animal that is still warm isn't plesant to me. Even chickens. I remember eating phesant, and seeing the stomoch with whole corn still inside. Ick:) Nice to know you can do it though.

Megan said...

Is that not a good feeling of being self reliant. I was thinking today that I need to finish my food storage, and work on having things like soaps, deodorants in my storage as well. Then we will be very self reliant at least for a while:) Way to go Jill! That is so fun to hear about Mom killing a deer and sending Jerky to Dad. Thats a family favorite. Also answering you on one of my comments, I believe we are coming to the northern kingdom on the 21st of this month. Can't wait!

Smedley Family said...

Way to go Jill!!! We don't even have a gun! We should probably get one and come to wyoming for some lessons on hunting safety and gutting. Francie, Jill needs to invite me to her blog again. Will you tell her?