Friday, November 21, 2008

Hope

Seven years ago when Matt died I felt a suffocating darkness descend upon me. I did not believe I would ever experience light again. However, the Comforter, spoke to me. I literally heard these words, "Francie, you do not yet have a testimony of Hope... but as you pass through this experience you will know what hope is." I knew in that moment that I was not alone. I have studied and read about hope. I have prayed for hope and practiced hope. I felt my own personal feelings stated aloud as President Uchtdorf spoke on hope in October conference. The words he spoke were my own... they were a reflection of my own testimony. How grateful I am for the gospel of Jesus Christ which teaches all things we must know and do to return home to our Father in Heaven.

Hope in God, His goodness, and His power refreshes us with courage during difficult challenges.
But Why Then Is There Despair?
The adversary uses despair to bind hearts and minds in suffocating darkness. Despair drains from us all that is vibrant and joyful and leaves behind the empty remnants of what life was meant to be. Despair kills ambition, advances sickness, pollutes the soul, and deadens the heart. Despair can seem like a staircase that leads only and forever downward.
Hope, on the other hand, is like the beam of sunlight rising up and above the horizon of our present circumstances. It pierces the darkness with a brilliant dawn. It encourages and inspires us to place our trust in the loving care of an eternal Heavenly Father, who has prepared a way for those who seek for eternal truth in a world of relativism, confusion, and of fear.
Hope is not knowledge, but rather the abiding trust that the Lord will fulfill His promise to us. It is confidence that if we live according to God’s laws and the words of His prophets now, we will receive desired blessings in the future. It is believing and expecting that our prayers will be answered. It is manifest in confidence, optimism, enthusiasm, and patient perseverance.
In the language of the gospel, this hope is sure, unwavering, and active. With hope comes joy and happiness. With hope, we can “have patience, and bear . . . [our] afflictions.”
The things we hope in sustain us during our daily walk. They uphold us through trials, temptations, and sorrow. Indeed, there are times when the darkness may seem unbearable. It is in these times that the divine principles of the restored gospel we hope in can uphold us and carry us until, once again, we walk in the light.
We hope in Jesus the Christ, in the goodness of God, in the manifestations of the Holy Spirit, in the knowledge that prayers are heard and answered. This type of hope in God, His goodness, and His power refreshes us with courage during difficult challenges and gives strength to those who feel threatened by enclosing walls of fear, doubt, and despair.
Hope sustains us through despair. Hope teaches that there is reason to rejoice even when all seems dark around us. -President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

3 comments:

Amy 'n Clint said...

Thanks so much for sharing your testimony. Very wise counsel from a wise Aunt. Thanks!

Becca said...

I love that talk as well and makes me remember hope. Thanks for reminding us.

Anny said...

Thanks Francie for such wonderful words. Your thoughts have touched me. I too have been studying hope and what is means. I loved President Uchtdorf's talk and Elder Wirthlin's on "Come what may and love it". I am so glad you have found peace in knowing that your family is forever. I met Matt a couple of times- cute, cute kid. Those cute pictures of his smile is what I remember, always smiling. You have an amazing family. Thanks for sharing.